Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What is your best volunteer experience???

We all volunteer...right???  If you're not you should!  Sure I know that we all lead busy lives.  Work, kids spouses, family, social life...who has time?

We all have time, it's a matter of making time.  I suggest integrating one of the aspects of your life into volunteering.  What can you do that flows with the things you already have to do?  Do your kids skate?  Then help out your local skating organization.  You may say "oh there's nothing I can do to help"  OH YES THERE IS!!!  Trust me.  Maybe it's just organizing a leaflet handout, while your kids are participating in there thing.  All you have to do it ask the organizers.  Trust me anything you offer, they appreciate.

Maybe one of your friends are participating in a fundraising event.  When you are hanging out for that weekly drink, just ask if there is anything you can do to help.  Maybe it's just brainstorming, or maybe you know a contact that would help them out, or maybe you pick up or drop something off for someone.  Any amount of time you spend can dramatically make a difference for some organization.

I help out wherever I can, but I have to say my best experience has been with the Terry Fox Run's.  In our community last year with an extra "hand on deck" I was able to help the team double their fundraising efforts in just one year.  I can't wait to see how much we raise this year!!!

Just ask the next community group you come across if someone like you with "limited time" to spare can help with "anything" (even if it's an hour a month).  I guarantee you they won't refuse your help!

Just watch out...it can be addicting in a great way!

What has been you r favourite experience?  Leave a comment, I would love to pass it along!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment