Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Grade 5 and William Lyon Mackenzie King

I can honestly say that I do not remember much about grade 5.  I can say that if it is anything like grade 5 is now...I'm sure that I really did not enjoy it.  My oldest daughter is working on...just finished a project on the 10th Prime Minister of Canada.  These are very stressful times in our household.  For starters, I do not remember learning anything about Prime Ministers in primary school, and anything that I did learn about Prime Ministers later on certainly did not help with this project.  Thankfully we have this mighty thing we call the "information highway".  Politics has changed so much since 1900.  HELLO!!!!  Needless to say, my ten year can hardly pronounce politics, does not understand what a political scandal is, and really doesn't get what a Senator does or why it is important that King appointed the First Female Senator in Canadian History!!!  WOW, I'm tired just rehashing it!!!  It all good though, because the report is now finished, printed and ready to hand in.  Now comes the hard part.  She has to present her report in front of the class in a first person manner.  She is a little worried about dressing up as a man, and getting all of her words right.  She is having a hard time with Harvard the word University and damn Politics.  She keeps saying policies instead.  But when the word policy comes up she says politics.  Is there any other parent out there that can possible relate to my pain.  All I really want is to help her succeed...however it's really quite exhausting. 

On the upside I have learned a great deal about Mr. William Lyon Mackenzie King.  Did you know that he is the longest serving Prime Minister in Canadian History, serving for 21 years 154 days in total.  He was never married.  And apparently Mr. King was quite eccentric....however highly educated, and had a good heart.  Not a very popular PM in regards to his opinions, however he must have done something right.

I hope that my daughter remembers all of this when she is 33, and every once in a while I will quiz her on Mackenzie King.  Because as much thought as I have put into what I remember from when I was in grade 5...well I really can't.  I was 10, and remember spending a lot of time outside playing with my brother.  I think we were living in Brantford at the time.  That was a time when the ice cream guy would ride through the streets and yell "get your ice cream, get your ice cream"  I don't even know who the Prime Minister was when I was ten.  I'm pretty sure it was Brian Mulroney...yes, yes it was.

Regardless of the amount of time, stress surrounding the project (mostly for me), and the understanding barrier, my daughter is extremely proud of this project.  And I'm sure she will do fantastic presenting it in front of her class tomorrow.  I will keep you posted on how she does!

Well one of my goals in 2010 is to get to bed earlier, so that I can get up earlier in the morning and get more things done before the day gets motoring, so...

signing off.....

J

p.s.  I'm not sure if I'll get to sleep any earlier though...it's really eating me that I can't remember what I was doing when I was ten.....

No comments:

Post a Comment