Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Today's Path

Aha!!!  I really am still around, just been attending to other things that's all.  I know some of you may be wondering...what is that girl up to know.  Well I can tell you...BIG things...and well that's about all that I can tell you right now.  hahaha
It has been a kinda hectic week, however all for the best.  Days has signed up to compete in her first skating competition in February.  So it has meant some longer nights at the arena for extra lessons.  One of the coaches has lent her an outfit, so she is covered there and I found her a pair of skating tights (finally) at a sports store.  If she keeps at this figure skating thang, I am going to need to find a figure skating store.

Zo had her Winter Piano Recital.  When we went to leave I asked "Zo aren't you going to bring your sheet music?"  She quite matter of factly informed me that she had in memorized, and she didn't need them.  Well she was quite right indeed.  She nailed both of her songs, and impressed the hell out of me, and her teacher said she was really impressed that she didn't bring any sheets up!!!  A bit of a brainiac.  As her treat for doing so well I asked her if there was anything I could get her.  You'll never believe it, and you'll likely think I'm exaggerating or bragging or something.  But seriously, my seven year old asked me if I could get her the "twilight" book!!!  I told her that it might be a bit too old for her...but really how do you say no to that.   She wants ot read a book that is far out of her league of understanding.  Do you say no?  You have to read a simpler book?  She was already reading "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown.  I think she is seeing me read and wants to read what mom's reading.   I decided to buy it for her.  She couldn't be prouder.  She let me know that she is on "page 17 already" tonight.  If anyone thinks I'm nuts for buying it for her.  Oh well.  I could be doing worse....I could be buying her junk food, or buying her sleezy teen magazines ( I personally like the sleezy magazines) I could be buying her a zillion other crap things.  But this time...I bought her what she really wanted.  And glad I did.

Saturday evening we had the pleasure of hanging out with some new friends and some old fam.  And we had a really fantastic time.  We have been lucky enough to have a new couple and their little guy (who is truly one of the most amazing little guys I've met for being 4, that and he's really a cutie) move just down the road from us.  We live on a street that is a bit highly populated by retirees whom we rarely see as they often spend the majority of the year in the south, so it is really exciting to have some people we can relate to in age, and in interests.  Also, considering the girls and I have only been here for a little over a year, it's especially nice for me to meet someone that I can connect with. 

I have found over the years that we lose touch with friendships.  We go to school, we move away, we get married, we have kids....yet our needs for friendship, and socializing don't ever stop.  But all of these other things get in the way.  Perhaps not for everyone.  Certainly for me.  I have only a few friends that I still keep in contact with from high school.  Even then it seems to be very infrequent due to the distance.  Really there is no one to blame but myself.  I have changed paths a few times in my life, and have failed to keep those lines of communication open.  So all of you high school friends reading this now (and other friends & fam)  I apologize for not keeping in touch.  I suck at picking up the phone.  I really do.  Often I spend so much time communicating throughout the day, that I just want to avoid having to connect when I get home.  So I'm sorry.  I promise to try to make more of an effort.  Feel free to do the same!!!

Anyway the idea of having a new friend so nearby, and with so many similar qualities (seemingly), I am quite thrilled.  So don't turn out to be one of those snobs that acts like you don't know me even though we've chatted and hung out and cuz we have cell phones and big screen tvs!!!!  (All of you that don't get that line...don't worry, it's an inside joke!!!)  I look forward to a year of new friendships, adventures and paths.

As the next few weeks unfold I look forward to smiling more, sleeping more, walking on the Lake more (it's frozen), blogging more, reading more(reading The Big Idea right now, thanks AM), and eating some chocolate in bed.  (Again if you don't get the chocolate thing, that just means it's not meant for you to get xixixi)

Signing off...
J

No comments:

Post a Comment